Tool Hire FAQs
What do I need to know before I hire?
Whether you are hiring for the first time or you are a seasoned pro, Martins Tool Hire has a very clear policy on how we operate.
See below FAQ's for more information. Still not sure? call us today on 01256 819113 and we will be happy to discuss things further with you.
- What will I need to bring with me?
- Will I need to pay a deposit?
- What hire periods are available?
- Do you offer a delivery or collection service?
- I hired for the weekend but only used it for the day, what do I pay?
- Should I clean the machine before returning?
- What happens in the event of damage?
- Is VAT included in the prices?
- Do we offer credit account facilities?
- Is the machinery safe and reliable?
- Am I insured during the hire?
- What about safety?
1. What will I need to bring with me?
If you are visiting us for the first time or you don't have a trade account then you will need a valid form of photo ID i.e passport or drivers license. The address needs to correspond with your current home address. We will also require a valid credit or debit card which we can use for security deposit purposes.
For hiring high value items you may also be asked to present the relevant insurance. If you do not have insurance to cover the value of the equipment then a charge will be placed against the contract equal to 10% of the hire which covers you for the period of the hire.
2. Will I need to pay a deposit?
Yes. A deposit will be taken to cover the hire period and will be pro-rata based on the value of the equipment and the hire period required.
Deposit values over and above the value of the hire are fully refundable on return of goods.
If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact us on 01256 819113 or via the "contact us" page.
3. What hire periods are available?
Most products can be hired by the day or the week.
Definitions are as follows:
- Minimum hire* - Duration of 4 hours. Must be either a morning or afternoon.
- One day - any period not exceeding 24 hours.
- Weekend - from 08:00 Saturday to 09:00 on the following Monday. If available, equipment can be collected/delivered late on Friday afternoon.
- Week - any period of 7 consecutive days, expiring at close of business on the 7th day, i.e. one week hire commencing on a Tuesday terminates at close of business on the following Monday.
* Delivery and Collection services do not apply with minimum hires.
4. Do you offer a delivery or collection service?
We offer an economical delivery service for hire periods of 24 hours and longer. Due to logistics considerations, it is not normally available for the 4-hour hire period, although it may be possible in certain circumstances; please enquire when booking.
Please note that delivery charges are quoted excluding VAT.
5. I hired for the weekend but only used it for the day, what do I pay?
All hires are charged on a 'time out, not time used' basis. therefore if you have had the items on hire for the weekend you will be charged 2 days hire regardless of the time you have used the machines for.
6. Should I clean the machine before returning?
All our machinery is hired out in a clean and presentable manner. Although we appreciate that it is not brand new, we do expect our equipment to be treated with due care and attention and ask that it is returned to us in a similar state you received it.
If, on receipt of the equipment we deem that no effort has been made or there is excess waste on the machinery we will apply a cleaning charge to cover the labour required to return it to a fit state.
7. What happens in the event of damage?
If the machine is damaged as a result of 'fair wear and tear' then you will not be considered at fault for this. If damage has been caused as a result of negligence, user error or vandalism then you will be charged in full for the costs incurred including any labour which may be required.
8. Is VAT included in the prices?
No, VAT is additional to the published hire rates at the prevailing rate.
9. Do we offer credit account facilities?
Yes we do. If you have been or think you may be a regular customer then it may be easier to open a monthly credit account with us. You will be invoiced monthly and have a standard 30 days nett credit account with us (subject to satisfactory references)
10. Is the machinery safe and reliable?
All our fleet is tested, cleaned and serviced after each hire. This is documented and recorded by our trained members of staff. If, in the unlikely event that a machine breaks down during your hire, phone us immediately and we will arrange a suitable replacement tool to be swapped over for you.
11. Am I insured during the hire?
No. You are responsible for the goods whilst they are in your care. If you are unable to provide adequate insurance then a charge of 10% of the value of the hire will be charged as a waiver. This must be taken out on commencement of hire. Speak to us for more information.
12. What about safety?
Safety is paramount for us.
Our trained staff will be happy to show you how to use the equipment safely before you take it away. We also stock all the common types of PPE to protect you during use.
We are also members of the Hire Association Europe (HAE) and have held their safety accreditation for many years.